This creamy dairy-free vegetable soup makes a perfect Meatless Monday meal (and it’s hearty enough to please your Monday Night Football crowd!).
My family has been eating a lot of plant-based meals lately as part of my Beginner Fitness Jumpstart, so I was super excited when Silk challenged me to sideline meat and create a Meatless Monday meal for my family. Monday evenings around here mean Monday Night Football, and with a house full of hungry boys, I wanted to create meal that was so hearty and delicious they wouldn’t even realize it was missing the meat.
I started with a base of vegetable broth, onion, carrots, zucchini, kale, spinach, diced tomatoes and chickpeas, and then added in a few other vegetables that I found in the fridge. I tend to think of vegetable soup as an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of meal, so feel free to improvise and add in whatever veggies and legumes you have on hand. It’s a GREAT way to use up produce that’s nearing the end of its shelf life!
I sauteed my onions, carrots, garlic and celery in olive oil before adding all of my ingredients to the crockpot and cooking on low for 6 hours. Sauteing the firm and/or pungent vegetables ahead of time helps them to reach the proper texture and flavor during the remainder of the cooking process. After the soup had been cooking for 6 hours, I added Silk Cashewmilk to the broth to make it creamy and add richness to the flavors. Silk recently introduced Cashewmilk to their line of products, and it has been my go-to product lately (remember when I used it in my Overnight Apple Cinnamon Chia Oats? SO good!). Cashewmilk is creamier than skim milk, yet it has the same amount of calories and 50% more calcium, so it’s a no-brainer when you’re looking to add a creamy element to your cooking. (Click here to find it in a store near you!)
Meatless Monday: Creamy Dairy-Free Vegetable Soup
- 1 32 oz can Vegetable Broth
- 1 14 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Large Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 3 Stalks of Celery, diced
- 1 Large Zucchini diced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 cups Kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup Green Beans diced
- 1/2 14-oz can Corn, drained
- 1/2 14-oz can Chickpeas, drained
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Silk Cashewmilk
- Add 2 tsp. of olive oil to a saute pan, and cook the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (except the Silk Cashewmilk!) to a crockpot, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once the vegetables are tender, stir in 2 cups of Silk Cashewmilk, and allow to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with crusty french bread or crescent rolls.
I’d say this Meatless Monday meal was a huge success (and the leftovers for Meatless Lunch Tuesday and Wednesday were great too!)! For more great meatless recipes, be sure to check out the new Silk Sideline Meat website (note: website will be live on September 14th!).
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.