This Lentil Tostada Mix-in-a-Jar (with adorable Christmas cactus gift tags!) is an easy homemade Christmas gift, and it makes a quick and delicious meal for the busy holiday season!
One of my favorite things to give during the holidays is a quick and easy meal! During the hustle and bustle of the busy holiday season, a healthy protein-packed meal-in-minutes is always well received and appreciated. This lentil tostada mix-in-a-jar recipe can be whipped up in about 15 minutes, and it only uses a few basic ingredients!
Lentils are one of my favorite pantry staples because they’re nutritious, filling, low-fat, and loaded with protein, fiber, and iron (seriously, lentils pack as much protein as an equivalent portion of steak with only 1/10 of the fat!). Dry lentils store extremely well and will keep for a full year when stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. We always have them on-hand!
Lentils are also really quick and easy to cook. Simply rinse the lentils, add water, bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer until they are tender (5-7 minutes for split lentils or 15-20 minutes for whole lentils). Easy peasy!
(Note: always be sure to season with salt after cooking. If salt is added during the cooking process, the lentils will become tough.)
To cook the lentil tostada mix-in-a-jar, just toss all of the ingredients from the jar into a pot with 3 cups of water or chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
To build the tostada, simply layer a corn tortilla or crispy tostada shell with lettuce, lentil mix, salsa, and cheese. SO yummy and filling!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Green Lentils
- 1/3 cup Dried Onions
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper optional
- 1/2-1 tsp. Salt set aside for after cooking
- Mix together all spices and seasonings except salt.
- Layer the seasoning mix on the bottom of a mason jar.
- Top the seasoning mix with the green lentils.
- Top the lentils with dried onions.
- Pour the ingredients of the jar into a medium sized saucepan with 3 cups of water or chicken broth. Stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add salt to taste.
To Make Tostadas:
- Layer a tostada shell with lettuce, seasoned lentil mix, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese.
This lentil tostada mix-in-a-jar makes a great holiday gift idea! Give it on its own or as part of a larger gift basket including tostada shells and a jar of your favorite salsa. All the recipient needs to add is lettuce and cheese – so easy!
Now it’s definitely all decked out and ready for holiday gift giving! Perfect for friends, family, neighbors, teachers, and more!
I couldn’t resist making a fun Southwestern-inspired gift tag to go along with our south-of-the-border fare, so I whipped up these adorable Christmas cactus gift tags!
To get the Printable Christmas Cactus Gift Tags, enter your name and email address into the form below and click the “Get It Now!” button!
Check Out These Other Printable Christmas Ideas!
- Christmas Bucket List: Scratch-Off Advent Calendar Printable
- Free Printable Santa’s Nice List Certificate
- Printable Elf on the Shelf Donut Shop Props
- 20+ Printable Christmas Games
- Elf on the Shelf Printable Notes & Jokes
- Christmas Wine Bottle Gift Tags
- Santa’s Magic Key Printable Tag + SVG File
- Free Printable Letter to Santa