You guys, I just discovered one of the coolest things that I can do with my Silhouette Designer Edition Software! I’ve was aware that the upgraded software is able to convert designs into rhinestone templates, but up until a few days ago it had never occurred to me that I could use those rhinestone holes for stitching! I couldn’t wait to try it out, so I whipped up this quick and easy stitched greeting card for my cousin who recently got married.
I started with a double heart image from my Silhouette library. I chose a simple design because I find that they translate really well into rhinestone templates, but more intricate patterns will work as well (just space the holes close together!).
Click on the rhinestone button at the top of the screen, then select the rhinestone effect, size (6ss is more than large enough for an embroidery needle), and spacing. I was still playing around with the settings when I took this screenshot – for my final design I used the linear fill effect and spaced my rhinestones .07 in apart.
Start stitching! Use a piece of tape on the back side to secure down the end of the floss instead of making a knot. I used a basic back stitch to embroider around the series of holes, and used two different shades of purple floss since their wedding colors were purple and silver. This is pretty much a grown-up version of kid’s lacing cards, so a simple running stitch probably would have looked cute, too.
I backed the text cutout with a piece of glittery silver paper, and then trimmed my sheet of cardstock to fit on the front of a pre-folded white card I had handy. If you don’t have a pre-folded card, just fold another sheet of cardstock in half, and trim to size. Use a gluestick to attach the stitched panel to the front of the card.
If you’re thinking about upgrading your Silhouette software to the Designer Edition, now’s the time – it’s 40% off through July 31st! Just take a peek at some of the features of the Designer Edition software:
- Ability to open, manipulate, and cut .svg files
- Rhinestone tools to convert designs into rhinestone templates and create your own rhinestone designs
- Sketch tools to convert designs into several styles of sketchable art
- Creative knife tools to allow you to clip designs using different patterns
- Enhanced eraser set to modify designs with more precision
- Built-in ruler and guide lines for precise alignment and drawing
- Layers support (including ability to cut by layer)
- PDF import
- Nesting feature to allow you to arrange cuts as efficiently as possible—a scrapper’s dream!
- Shadow tool—allows you to add a drop shadow to printable designs
I get asked all the time if the Designer Edition software is worth the extra money, and I can’t say it enough – yes, yes, YES! (Especially at 40% off!)
There are also some smokin’ deals on Silhouette Portrait and CAMEO bundles, so hop on over to the Silhouette Store and check it out!
Use code SPACE at checkout to receive the discount prices!