Note: this page is a work-in-progress, so please check back for frequent updates!
So, you want to be a blogger?
The #1 question that I receive from readers is “how do I start a blog…and how do I make money blogging?” If you’re looking to start you own blog, be sure to check out our series, How to Start a Profitable Blog. This series will guide you step-by-step through setting up your blog and your web hosting with Bluehost, writing blog posts, social media promotion, growing your following, and ways to monetize you blog so that you can start making money! If you want to get started with blogging, this is a fantastic FREE resource that will walk you through the entire process!
So, you want to know what equipment I use?
The #2 question that I receive from readers is “What kind of equipment are you using?” along with “Where can I buy it?” Honestly, about 90% of all things that I purchase come straight from Amazon.com. The bulk of my days are spent homeschooling my three boys, so I take advantage of Amazon Prime’s free two-day shipping ALL the time to avoid having to drag everyone out and about with me. If you’re not an Amazon Prime member, you can CLICK HERE to get a free 30-day trial. Prime also includes thousands of free streaming movies, television shows, and music along with unlimited cloud photo storage, so for my family, it’s worth every penny!
Now that I’ve covered where I shop, let’s talk about the equipment that I use.
Camera & Photography Equipment:
If you’re looking to purchase your first entry-level DSLR, I highly recommend the Canon EOS Rebel T5i or the Canon EOS Rebel T6i. The camera kits include an 18-55 mm lens that works exceptionally well for everyday photos and videos; however, I also recommend purchasing a 50 mm lens if you’re an aspiring food or creative blogger. The 50 mm lens allows for a much shallower depth of field (blurred background while keeping focus on the foreground), and will give you excellent low-light performance. The Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 lens is the least expensive model (around $125), and recent improvements to the lens design have received rave reviews that put it on par with the more expensive Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 ($349). I shoot about 90% of my blog photos with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, and it’s my go-to lens for anything blog related.
I also recently purchased a Sony a6000 mirrorless digital camera, and I LOVE it! The photos are fantastic, and the absence of the traditional mirror system makes it much lighter weight and easier to transport than a standard DSLR camera. I have been taking the Sony a6000 camera everywhere with me along with the Sony 30mm 2.8 lens, and it’s quickly replacing my Canon as my go-to camera!
Other camera equipment that I use frequently:
I believe that continuing education is important, and I strongly recommend taking online classes and reading lots of books on all subjects related to blogging (photography, editing, styling, business, inspiration, etc.) if you are an aspiring blogger. These are some of my favorites:
The Ultimate Photography Book for Bloggers by Aniko Levai is an amazing resource that covers everything from learning your camera settings to staging photos for projects, recipes, interior design and more. Definitely a MUST read! She also offers a package that includes Adobe Lightroom presets and templates for quick and easy editing of your photos. This is a fantastic resource!
Photography & Styling Books:
- The Beginner’s Photography Guide
- BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginners Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro
- Art of Everyday Photography: Move Toward Manual and Make Creative Photos
- A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
- Light Right: Learn How to Create Images, Set Up a Studio, and Launch Your Photography Career
- Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
- Food Photography for Bloggers: Focus on the Fundamentals
Blogging & Business Books:
- Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
- How to Blog for Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- The Four Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
Motivational & Inspirational Books:
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Basics of Digital Photography
- Product Photography at Home
- The Essential Guide to Photoshop
- The Essential Guide to Lightroom