I don’t commit myself to one type of diet – paleo, gluten free, Whole 30, clean eating, Atkins, blood type diet – who can keep track of it all? I absolutely believe that for certain people there are valid reasons for following these diets, but for me, I’d rather stick to foods that I know are high in nutritional value and worry less about what a diet guideline says I can or can’t eat. In an effort to slim down a little bit before swimsuit weather comes into full force, I’ve been cutting back on carbs and trying to fill up on lots of lower calorie vegetables lately.
I recently discovered the Spiralizer, and it’s been my new best friend when it comes to healthy eating. We’ve been loading up on zucchini noodles, and even my picky eaters have been devouring them. My husband was skeptical about the idea of vegetable noodles at first, but soon declared, “Yep. These work! I don’t even miss that there’s not real pasta in here!” The zucchini noodles take on the flavor of whatever sauce you pair them with, so they’re perfect for spaghetti, “pasta” salad or stir fry dishes. I quickly tossed together this Spiralized zucchini noodle stir fry one evening last week, and it was a huge hit! I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day, and I thought it tasted even better the second time around!
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped (Rotisserie chicken works great!)
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Yoshida's Gourmet sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Use the Spiralizer to cut the zucchini into noodles (peeling the zucchini is optional).
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and lightly saute the carrots and onions until translucent.
- Add the zucchini noodles and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, sauce and spinach and cook until the chicken is warm and the spinach is wilted.
- Serve warm and top with chopped cashews.