This is the most delicious quiche recipe ever! Loaded with bacon, cheddar cheese, spinach and kale, it makes a perfect breakfast or brunch treat!
Earlier this month I was challenged to participate in the Chopped at Home Challenge, using a mystery basket of ingredients to come up with a delicious recipe. My mystery basket contained kale, cheddar cheese, bacon, and oyster crackers. My first instinct was to make a quiche, but instead I made loaded twice-baked potatoes to score extra creativity points since there were already a few quiche entries in the competition. I couldn’t stop thinking about making the quiche though, so I decided to whip one up alongside my Chopped at Home Challenge dish.
Unfortunately, my kiddos ate most of the oyster crackers while I was working on the loaded twice-baked potatoes, so I didn’t have enough left over for the crust of the quiche as I had originally planned. Luckily, I happened to have pre-made pie crust dough on hand, and it worked out perfectly!
Cheesy Bacon, Kale & Spinach Quiche
- Pie Crust Dough prepared and refrigerated
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 10 Slices Bacon
- 1/2 Cup Kale cut into thin ribbons
- 1/2 Cup Spinach cut into thin pieces
- 1/2 Small White or Yellow Onion diced and caramelized
- 2 Cloves Garlic caramelized
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust and place inside of a 10" pie pan.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon. Cool and chop into pieces.
- In a small sautee pan, caramelize the diced onion and garlic with a little bit of butter or bacon drippings.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together with the cream and black pepper. Add the caramelized onion and garlic, bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, spinach, and kale.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until egg is firm and the top is lightly browned.
The kids couldn’t stop raving about how “seriously awesome!” and “totally amazing!” this quiche was, and judging by the way that they devoured the entire dish in a very short while, they weren’t just trying to be nice! I have to agree with them – this recipe is a keeper!