Once school has been completed for the day, my boys only have one thing on their mind – SNACKING! Lately they’ve been requesting toast and fruit, so I decided to combine the two into a nutritious cinnamon raisin bread that’s perfect for after school snack time.
This recipe is meant to be baked in a bread maker, so it’s a huge time saver (though I’m sure you could use this recipe and bake it the traditional way, too!). It only takes a few minutes to toss all of the ingredients into the machine, set it and forget it…until you smell the incredible aroma of fresh baked bread filling your home! I had the help of my youngest sous chef, and we had our ingredients mixing in the machine in just a few minutes. We started our bread during our lunch break, and by the time we were finished with school in the early afternoon, we had a warm wholesome snack ready for us.
Add all of the ingredients to the pan of the bread machine, and allow the machine to mix and knead the dough for a few minutes before adding in the raisins. This will help keep the raisins intact and whole (those bread maker paddles have a tendency to smash soft fruit pieces if they’re added too early). Our recipe doesn’t call for any added sugar because California Raisins are naturally sweet, but we did add a bit of honey to give our bread an extra layer of flavor.
We were supposed to add a full cup of raisins to the bread dough, but someone got their hands into them, so we ended up with about 3/4 cup instead. What can I say? California raisins are his most favorite snack these days! He’s snacking smart, too, since raisins have zero fat, cholesterol or added sugar, and they’re high in iron, potassium, and fiber.
My boys usually gobble up half of the loaf of warm bread with butter, and we save the leftovers for toast (or even better, french toast!) the next morning. I love that I can stretch 10 minutes of prep time into a healthy snack and a delicious breakfast all at once!
Sugar-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread for the Bread Maker
- 1 cup Milk, warm
- 3 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour (may also use whole wheat flour or a blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons Instant Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup California Raisins
- Place all the ingredients except the raisins into the bread maker pan in the order listed above (start with the milk and finish with the yeast).
- Set the machine for a 1.5 lb loaf, and use the basic or sweet bread setting depending on your bread maker's options. Start cycle. Allow the machine to knead the bread for several minutes before adding the raisins.
- Continue to run the remainder of the cycle until bread is baked. Cool slightly before serving.
Be sure to visit www.loveyourraisins.com for more information about California Raisins, and find them on Facebook where you can sign up to receive a California Raisins prize pack! (Limited supply; while quantities last.)
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.