I love potatoes any way you serve them, and this rich and creamy loaded baked potato soup is one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. It’s comfort food at its absolute finest, and you can whip it up in just about ten minutes, and let your crockpot do all of the hard work for you!
I used fingerling potatoes this time since they were in our CSA box this week, but Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes also work really well. The shallots also came in our box, but you can substitute a little more onion and garlic if you don’t happen to have shallots handy.
If I have a few extra minutes, I like to lightly caramelize the onions, shallots and garlic before adding them to the soup mix. It’s not necessary, but it adds an extra depth of flavor to the soup, especially if you cook them in a little bit of the leftover bacon fat (yum!). My soup recipe is adapted from my good friend Jen at Four Marrs and One Venus, and it’s seriously “Lick the bowl worthy!”
Crockpot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 7-8 small to medium size potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
Cheddar and Jack cheese, shredded
Bacon, precooked and chopped into pieces
Green onions or chives, chopped
- Chop the potatoes into 1/2″ cubes.
- If time allows, caramelize the shallots, onions and garlic over low heat.
- Add all the ingredients to your crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Optional: use an immersion blender (stick blender) to blend through about 1/3 of the soup to create a thicker broth.
- Top with cheese, bacon bits and green onions.
Yum! This loaded baked potato soup is great for chilly nights, Sunday football tailgating, and busy weeknights on-the-go. It’s the perfect all-occasion crowd pleaser! Not too shabby for 10 minutes of work!