Portions of this post were originally published in Sacramento Parent Magazine, March 2012.
- 10″ Embroidery Hoop (inner ring only)
- String/Fishing Line
- Colored Paper
- Balloon and Cloud Templates
If you wish to use a different theme, choose shapes that are symmetrical in order to create a three dimensional effect. Mix it up!
- Paint your embroidery hoop and allow to dry.
- Cut six lengths of string approximately 20″ long each.
- Cut your shapes out of paper: For each two dimensional object (clouds and raindrops) that will hang on your mobile, cut two identical shapes to serve as the front and back sides. For each three dimensional object (hot air balloons), cut 6 shapes and fold each one in half.
- To assemble two dimensional objects: sandwich a section of string between two matching shapes and glue them together.
- To form three dimensional objects: Join two shapes together by gluing the right half of one to the left half of another. Make sure that the edges are lined up. Continue gluing the remaining shapes together, and insert a length of string for hanging before gluing your final pair of shapes.
- When all your items have been adhered to your lengths of string, tie the ends around your embroidery hoop and secure with a double knot. Make sure that the items are evenly spaced and balanced around the hoop to ensure that it will hang correctly.
- Use string or ribbon to hang your mobile from the ceiling.
* Note: Rubber cement works well for this project because it does not wrinkle paper, and it allows time to line up the edges of your shapes perfectly. Always use rubber cement in a well-ventilated area.
Heidi Kundin has captivated the hearts of millions with her colorful and inspiring approach to crafting, celebrations, and family fun. With over 15 years of experience, Heidi’s website has become a must-visit destination for those seeking quick and easy creative ideas and last-minute solutions. Her warm personality shines through her posts, inviting readers to join her on a creative journey that’s fun, rewarding, and achievable.