Yesterday Sawyer & Sutton made marbled Easter eggs using a dozen wooden eggs that I got at OTC last year (on clearance after the season, of course!). We used the same technique that we use with actual marbles to paint marbelized paper.
We use disposable roasting pans from the dollar store, lined with a piece of white construction paper, to minimize clean up. This also gives you a nice bonus piece of artwork at the end of the project!
Add a wooden egg and a few blobs of acrylic paint…you’ll notice that we stuck stickers to a few of our eggs in an attempt to recreate the loveliness we saw HERE…but, the truth of the matter is that the paint got too thick and gloppy for it to work properly. I couldn’t even find the stickers under all that paint on most of the eggs when we were done! We’ll probably try using stickers with regular egg dye when we do the traditional egg dying later. In the meantime, ignore what we did, and skip the stickers for this project
Give your kiddos their trays and start rolling them around. It works much better if you actually pick up your tray and tilt it side-to-side like Sawyer is doing here. If you take Sutton’s route and try to roll the egg around the paint with your fingers, all you’re going to do is succeed in getting Mommy paranoid that acrylic paint covered fingers are going to end up in places they shouldn’t 😉
He finally caught on to the proper technique and was totally thrilled with how his eggs looked
See what I mean about that bonus artwork in the bottom of the tray? We’re going to cut ours up and make Spring/Easter cards to mail to our family and friends.
When your egg is mostly covered (it usually won’t get 100% covered because its odd shape rolls kind of awkwardly), have an adult take the egg out of the pan carefully and dip the remaining white spots right back into a swirly blob of paint. That should take care of covering the whole thing!
Place on a sheet of waxed paper to dry overnight. After a few hours I turned the eggs on their sides so that the gloppy bottoms could dry. The paint was THICK, so it took quite awhile to dry.
You can see that the sticker idea didn’t work out the best. I’m too big of a perfectionist, and the lines weren’t crisp. Honestly, I like the solid look of the marbled egg much better anyway.