This delicious chocolate donut recipe is so easy to make! Baked chocolate donuts with a rich and creamy chocolate ganache glaze…can you get any more heavenly than that!? YUMMMMM!
This post may contain affiliate links. I will receive a small commission from these sales at no additional cost to you!
Is there anything better than starting your day with a decadent and fudgy, delicious frosted chocolate donut and a tall glass of milk? How about savoring a sweet bite after dinner in the evening? Or enjoying a chocolate-y snack on the go? These sweet treats are perfect for any time of day! Plus, they’re really easy to make — all you need is a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time. So, why not give this yummy chocolate donut recipe a try?
Check Out These Other Delicious Donut Recipes!
The Best Baked Chocolate Donuts
These baked chocolate donuts are rich and decadent, topped with a silky chocolate ganache glaze. These homemade donuts are the BEST, and you’re going to LOVE them!
Ingredients You’ll Need for Chocolate Donuts
Most of these ingredients are baking staples, so you probably have most of these items in your pantry already. The only thing that might be new to you is the espresso powder. Don’t worry if you don’t have any on hand – you can simply omit it from the recipe if you don’t have any, but it really does add a lovely depth of flavor to the recipe!
For the baked chocolate donuts recipe, you will need:
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- An Egg
- Vanilla Extract
- Espresso Powder
- Hot Water
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate and Rainbow Sprinkles (optional, for garnish)
Ingredients You’ll Need for the Chocolate Ganache Icing
This chocolate ganache icing will take your chocolate donuts to the next level! It looks super fancy, but it’s super easy to make using a base of simple chocolate chips. If you want to keep things simple, you could skip the glaze and dust your baked donuts with some powdered sugar, but I highly recommend giving this glaze a try!
For the chocolate ganache recipe, you will need:
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Cream
- Unsalted Butter
How to Make Baked Chocolate Donuts, Step by Step
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to get baking! To begin, preheat your oven to 375°F and prepare your donut pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and granulated sugar until they are well combined. Then, add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until everything is smooth.
Next, dissolve the espresso powder in hot water and add this mixture to the batter. Stir until well combined.
Whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl (medium bowl).
Now, it’s time to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and we’re also going to add the buttermilk at this time. Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk into the wet ingredients, and mix until thoroughly combined.
Once everything is mixed together, spoon the batter into a piping bag and pipe it evenly into each well of the donut pan. Or, you could also choose to carefully spoon the batter into each well instead of using a piping bag.
Bake the donuts for about 10 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with only a few loose crumbs.
After the donuts have baked, allow the baked donuts to cool in the pan for about five minutes before removing them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the baked donuts are cooling, make the chocolate ganache glaze. Get your chocolate chips, butter, and heavy cream ready.
Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a medium bowl and microwave them in 30 seconds increments until they are evenly melted and smooth. Stir in the melted butter until the texture is silky and smooth.
Once the baked donuts are cool, dip the tops of each baked donut in the chocolate ganache glaze and place them on a cooling rack lined with parchment paper or a baking sheet to catch any dripping glaze.
If you’re using sprinkles, add them before the icing hardens. If the glaze is taking too long to set, place the chocolate donuts in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate ganache to set.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chocolate Donuts
How long do chocolate donuts last? How should I store my chocolate donuts?
Chocolate donuts are best on the day they are made. If there are any left, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. For the best flavor, bring leftover donuts back to room temperature before eating.
What type of chocolate should I use for ganache? Chocolate bar or chocolate chips?
You may use either chocolate chips or a chocolate bar. It really doesn’t make much difference. If you are using a chocolate bar, make sure it is chopped into small pieces so that it melts evenly.
Can I use a different type of glaze for chocolate cake donuts?
Yes, of course! We love these donuts paired with a rich chocolate glaze, but you can use any type of glaze, frosting, or topping that you like! You may also leave the chocolate cake donuts unglazed or dust them in sweet ground cocoa powder or powdered sugar.
I Don’t Have a Microwave. How else can I make chocolate ganache?
You can make our rich and creamy chocolate ganache in a double boiler on the stovetop, melting the chocolate, cream, and butter over medium-low heat.
Print the Baked Chocolate Donuts Recipe Here:
These really are the BEST baked chocolate donuts! Make these for birthdays, holidays, and special events (you’re sure to get a LOT of people asking for your recipe!) for a surefire hit!
What You’ll Need:
For the Chocolate Donuts
- 6 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Espresso Powder
- 1/8 Cup Hot Water
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Rainbow & Chocolate Sprinkles, optional, for decoration
For the Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
To Make the Donuts
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and set aside a donut pan that has been coated with butter and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and granulated sugar until they are well combined. Then, add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until everything is smooth.
- Add the espresso powder to ⅛ cup of hot water and stir until the powder has dissolved. Add this mixture to the batter and mix until combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients to the batter with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag and evenly pipe batter into each well in the donut pan.
- Bake the donuts for 10 minutes until a cake tester inserted comes out clean or with just a few loose crumbs. After 5 minutes transfer to a cooling rack to fully cool.
For the Ganache Glaze
- Prepare the ganache glaze while the donuts are cooling. In a medium deep bowl, mix the heavy cream with the chocolate chips and microwave for 20-second increments until evenly melted. Be sure to stir after every 20 seconds in the microwave. Stir in the melted butter until silky, and smooth in texture.
- Dip the tops of the donuts in the glaze and return to a cooling rack with parchment paper or a cookie sheet underneath to catch the dripping glaze. If using sprinkles, add them before icing sets. If the ganache seems to be taking too long to set, place the glazed donuts in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
This chocolate donut recipe is SO delicious and easy to make, and it’s sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below how yours turned out. And, don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family!
Check Out These Other Donut Recipes and Craft Ideas!
- 10 Free Donut SVG Files
- Baked Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- Baked Apple Cider Donut Recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Cake Donuts
- Valentine’s Day Donuts
- “Donut Worry, Be Happy” Printable Quote + More!
- 20+Awesome DIY Donut Craft Project Ideas
- 16 Gift Ideas for Donut Lovers