This yummy Funfetti cupcake recipe is perfect for birthdays or ANY day of the week! Funfetti cupcakes are a delicious, classic, and easy-to-make dessert!
This post may contain affiliate links. I will receive a small commission from these sales at no additional cost to you!
Are you looking for an effortless and delicious dessert recipe? Well, look no further than this Funfetti cupcakes recipe! These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, and they’re SO easy to make, too! With just a few simple ingredients, you can have this yummy treat ready to enjoy in no time!
Check Out These Other Yummy Dessert Recipes:
Yummy & Easy Funfetti Cupcakes
Funfetti cupcakes are a classic dessert that you might remember from your childhood. They’re basically the same as vanilla cupcakes, but with added sprinkles for a little bit of color and magic that makes them EXTRA special. Bake them for a birthday party or bake them just for fun – they’re delicious ANY time of year!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Funfetti Cupcakes?
To make these delicious Funfetti cupcakes, here’s what you will need:
- All-Purpose Flour or Cake Flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make the Best Funfetti Cupcakes!
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to get started on making these Confetti cupcakes. You can’t make this sweet dessert without the necessary steps and guidelines, so make sure to follow this Funfetti recipe closely.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line muffin tins with cupcake wrappers. Set aside for now.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until well combined (about 1 minute).
In a separate medium bowl, separate eggs. Place the egg whites into the medium bowl (then set aside for now) and place the egg yolks into the bowl with the butter mixture. Add vanilla into the wet ingredients bowl. Beat until well combined (about 2 minutes).
In a separate medium bowl add dry ingredients, and whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add half the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat just until mixed.
Add all the buttermilk to the wet mixture and beat just until combined.
Then, add the second half of the flour mixture and beat just until mixed. Do not overmix.
Next, you’ll need to whip the egg whites in a separate bowl. Before you do this, make sure the beaters are clean and dry. The egg whites won’t whip properly with dirty or wet beaters. Whip the egg whites on high until soft peaks form. This takes about 5 minutes of beating the egg whites on high.
Using a spatula, stir the egg whites and sprinkles into the cupcake batter. Do not beat these in – gently stir them into the batter just until combined. Don’t overmix, or the sprinkles may start to bleed color into the batter turning your cupcakes gray.
Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full of Funfetti cake batter.
Bake cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cupcakes comes out clean. When testing for doneness with a toothpick, there should be no raw batter on the toothpick. Do not overbake, or the cupcakes will dry out.
They sure do look delicious already, don’t they? But don’t eat them yet — you’ll need to let them cool before you frost them!
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients Needed for Buttercream Frosting:
- Unsalted Butter
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Confectioners’ Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
In a large bowl, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract at a medium speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy
Pipe frosting over cupcakes using a piping bag, then top with more rainbow jimmies (if desired).
Since the buttercream has cream in it, you’ll want to make sure any frosted cupcakes stay refrigerated until ready to eat. Store in the fridge in a sealed airtight container for up to 4 days.
And there you have it! These colorful cupcakes look delicious, but they taste even better. They’re sure to be a HUGE hit with your family and friends! Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! To save time on party day, you can bake the cupcakes the day before, then leave them out at room temperature (in a sealed food-safe container) until the next day when you’re ready to frost and serve them.
Whipping the egg whites gives a fluffier texture to the cupcakes. If you add the whites without whipping them first, the cupcakes will still turn out, but they’ll be denser.
Can these Funfetti cupcakes with buttercream frosting be frozen?
Yes, and they will last longer if you do! I’d recommend freezing the cupcakes separately from the frosting. Keep in mind that when the cupcakes are frozen, they will start to separate from the cupcake liner. Bring both the cupcakes and frosting back to room temperature before frosting the cupcakes.
Whether it’s a birthday, graduation, baby shower, or just because you are craving a cupcake, these homemade cupcakes are perfect for celebrating. By having this information on how to make these Funfetti cupcakes, you will now be able to make them for any special occasion! So go ahead and enjoy a delicious cupcake (or two)! YUM!
The Best Homemade Funfetti Cupcake Recipe
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, slightly melted
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (full fat)
- 1/2 cup Jimmies Sprinkles (long, tube-shaped sprinkles)
For Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 cups Confectioner's Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkles, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with wrappers.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until well combined (about 1 minute).
- Separate eggs – place the egg whites into a medium bowl and set aside. Place the egg yolks into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add vanilla to the butter, sugar, and egg yolk bowl, and beat until well combined (about 2 minutes).
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, banking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat just until combined.
- Add the buttermilk to the wet mixture and beat just until combined.
- Add the second half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat just until mixed. Do not overmix.
- Whip the egg whites in the separate medium bowl on high until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites and sprinkles into the cupcake batter. Do not overmix or the sprinkle colors can bleed!
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full of cupcake batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, confectioner's sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting over cupcakes and then top with sprinkles.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you try this recipe, come back and leave a comment and rating! We’d love to hear how you liked it!
Check Out These Other Yummy Dessert Ideas!
- How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Houses
- Easy Spider Donuts for Halloween
- Frankenstein Halloween Macarons
- Monster Cake Pops from Donut Holes
- Mini Rainbow Cheesecakes
- Donut Cake Recipe
- Easy Back-to-School Cookies
- 30+ Fresh Strawberry Recipes
Don’t Forget to Pin These Cupcakes for Later!
Heidi Kundin has captivated the hearts of millions with her colorful and inspiring approach to crafting, celebrations, and family fun. With over 15 years of experience, Heidi’s website has become a must-visit destination for those seeking quick and easy creative ideas and last-minute solutions. Her warm personality shines through her posts, inviting readers to join her on a creative journey that’s fun, rewarding, and achievable.