Looking for healthy school lunch ideas for picky eaters? These 30+ lunches for picky eaters are sure to spark your imagination and expand your picky child’s lunch menu options!
My big boys went back to school last week, and this year they are both attending school all day long. That means that this year I get the dubious honor of preparing school lunches for not just one, but two picky eaters each day. Lucky me?
In order to make my life a little easier, I sat down with these guys and compiled a list of all the foods that they might be willing to try at lunchtime. Naturally, they don’t agree on 100% of the foods on the list (honestly, they only agree on about 5% of them!), but at least it’s a start for those days when I’m running out of ideas! I thought it might be worthy of sharing if you also find yourself staring vacantly into the pantry before whipping up the gazillionth almond butter and jelly sandwich of the year. Variety is nice.
For my boys’ lunches, I use Easy Lunchboxes because they fit perfectly into kid-sized lunch boxes, and the divided portion sections eliminate the need for a bunch of different plastic baggies (less mess, less waste – yay!). Because we use the Easy Lunchboxes, our list of lunch ideas is actually made up of two different lists – one for the main compartment (entree) and one for the two smaller compartments (side dishes). Simply chose one item from the main list and two from the side list, and you can easily create a customized lunch that is sure to please your picky eater!
- Turkey and Cheese Tortilla Wrap
- Ham and Cheese Bagel
- Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter) and Honey Sandwich
- Cream Cheese and Cucumber Finger Sandwiches
- Cream Cheese and Jelly Tortilla Wrap
- Chicken Nuggets and Dipping Sauces
- Pasta – Ravioli, Tortellini, or Spaghetti with Sauce of Choice
- Hard-Boiled Eggs or an Egg Salad Sandwich
- Turkey & Cheese Crescent Rolls (or other meat/cheese combinations)
- Quesadillas or Quesadilla Tortilla Rolls
- Deli Meat and Cheese Kabobs
- Simple Breakfast Burrito – Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, and Bacon in a Tortilla
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Healthy Muffins (Banana, Apple, Zucchini, Blueberry etc.)
- Chicken Kabobs with Rice Balls
- DIY “Lunchables” – Deli Meat, Cheese, and Crackers
- Peanut Butter & Banana Graham Cracker Sandwich
- Mini Burger/Turkey Burger Sliders
- Breakfast for Lunch – Waffles, Pancakes, or French Toast
- Egg Rolls & Potstickers
- Build-Your-Own Mini Pizzas – English Muffin, Pizza Sauce, Cheese, and Toppings
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Sticks
- Bagel Dog or Pigs in a Blanket
- Calzones/Pizza Pockets
- Fruit Nachos – This Way OR This Way!
- Mini Bagels with Jam, Cream Cheese, or Nut Butter
- Pizza Quesadilla
- Fruit and Cheese Kabobs
- Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Pita Bread and Hummus
- Fruit – Strawberries, Bananas, Grapes, Blueberries, Melon, Pears, etc.
- Veggies – Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Bell Peppers, etc. with a Side of Ranch, Peanut Butter, or Hummus for Dipping!
- Whole-Grain Goldfish
- Cheese – String Cheese, Babybel, Cheddar Cubes, etc.
- Raisins or Dried Fruit
- Dry Cereal
- Crackers – Graham Crackers, Ritz, Saltines, Club Crackers, etc.
- Cottage Cheese
- Nuts – Almonds, Pistachios, Cashews, etc.
- Veggie Straws
Dressing up your lunch options as “cute food” can also help encourage picky eaters to try new foods. Cute food is a TON of fun, but it doesn’t have to be a ton of work! Take a peek at our 25 Quick & Easy Bento Lunch Box Ideas for Kids and 25 Non-Sandwich Lunch Ideas and get inspired!
WANT MORE BACK TO SCHOOL GAMES & ACTIVITIES? GRAB OUR MEGA BUNDLE ON SALE NOW!
You May Also Like:Printable Healthy Eating Coloring Pages